- cross-posted to:
- world@lemmy.world
- cross-posted to:
- world@lemmy.world
cross-posted from: https://mander.xyz/post/47528541
A Chinese naval flotilla came within 10 kilometres of Australia’s exclusive economic zone last year, and top defence officials warn further deployments are likely as Beijing flexes its military power.
The Australian Financial Review revealed in November that Defence was tracking a Chinese flotilla in the Philippine Sea that it believed could be heading towards Australia.
…
It came less than a year after a similar Chinese flotilla conducted live-fire exercises in the Tasman Sea, setting off a frantic scramble when 49 flights between Australia and New Zealand were rerouted, some while midair. The ships then circumnavigated Australia, raising questions about Australia’s maritime capabilities amid growing Chinese naval power.
Chief of the Defence Force David Johnston on Wednesday revealed the Chinese flotilla identified in November came within five to seven miles (8.1 kilometres to 11.3 kilometres) of Australia’s exclusive economic zone – the 200-nautical-mile maritime area where Australia holds rights over resources.
“They were just clear of it, but we had very strong surveillance over those platforms while they were proximate to our near waters,” Johnston told Senate estimates after a question from Liberal senator Jessica Collins.
…
Johnston said the flotilla’s closest proximity to Australia was off north-east Queensland.
…


